I’ve been working on the Whipsnade Zoo commission this week, and enjoying it. I got a fair amount done, too, which is really good. Here’s a picture of the hog deer in progress, showing how I paint by layering up the different tones of the fur in tiny brush strokes.
And here is the final of the hog deer.
I loved this one, he has such rich purplish colouring on his legs, and I’m loving the delicacy of the dappled spots these animals’ summer coats display.
Here are the rest of the ones I’ve completed this week; a Bactrian camel,
a pair of blackbuck,
a Pere david deer,
and a yak.
I think the yak looks far too much like it has an expression (and a miserable one at that); this is a problem I quite often have when my animal paintings seem to be anthropomorphised despite my best intentions.
I’ve also been asked to do the cover illustration for Laura Solomon’s new book of short stories (currently being written) since she liked the pictures I did for Alternative Medicine a few years ago. I’m pleased about this, and look forward to painting her a spider (it ties in with a tale about robotic spiders) once the Whipsnade job is completed.Comments: 0 | Viewed: 1837